Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Go ahead and tell me I'm nuts

It's true, I am.

I'm thinking about enrolling in school full time. When would I start? Right around the time the baby is born. Am I going to quit working? Nope. Am I going to cut down my hours? Double nope. Did my mother drop me on my head as an infant? Actually yes, why do you ask? Matter of fact, I fell off the roof of the car while strapped into my infant carrier and....waaaiiit a minute I see what you are getting at buddy!

Everyone knows my ultimate goal has been to become a midwife. The fact is, that is a very long road to take...and taking it while having small children is even more difficult. Add this to the fact that it will take me awhile even once I finish my schooling/apprenticeship to even start making a living on my own practice. It's still my passion, but my family is just as important and if I am not going to be able to practice midwifery anytime soon, well I figure I might as well do something that helps my family.

I'm looking for some measure of security. In two years, I'm going to have a 9 year old and a 1 1/2 year old. I'm going to need more space, preferably a house (preferably one we own, although that is only marginally important) and that means a different job. I am currently blessed with a measure of flexibility that I am very grateful for. My mom and grandmother live a few doors away, I work/live all at the same place, and my job is pretty flexible and secure at the moment. Jay is only going to be working 15 hours a week and will be available to help take the load off a bit, and I feel like I *should* have done this SO many times already (e.g. before I had kids, or before I was married, or before I was pregnant again...pick one) and I don't think I should wait any more.

So I've pretty much decided, back to school I go. I've chosen Human Services/Social Services as a major and can graduate in 2 years with Associate of Applied Science in Social Work. I may or may not choose to proceed to get my BA after that. I currently plan to (heck if I am doing this, I might as well really DO it, right?) but of course barring time and unforeseen occurrence. We will have to re-evaluate after two years. I'll be the ultimate bureaucratic paper-pusher. Yay. Actually I think I will be really good at it thankyouverymuch.

I've already filled out the admissions form and the financial aid paperwork and all I need to do now is take my placement test and meet with an advisor.

Here's to making it work!

1 comment:

Trudence said...

Hey, Marilyn...Aunt Trudy here....
No way-no how is your going back to school "nuts". I was one of those late bloomers who went to college in my 30's. Was married, two kids, financially struggling...but it was the BEST decision we ever made. Uncle Lonnie was behind me all the way. So---you go, girl!!